“The Structure of Style: Algorithmic Approaches to Understanding Manner and Meaning”, co-editor with S. Argamon and K. Burns , Springer SBM, 2010.
Articles in Books and Journals:
1. S. Dubnov, Naftali Tishby, Dalia Cohen, "Hearing Beyond The Spectrum", Journal of New Music Research, Vol. 25, 1996.
2. S. Dubnov, Naftali Tishby, Dalia Cohen, "Polyspectra as Measures of Sound Texture and Timbre", Journal of New Music Research, Vol. 26, 1997.
3. D. Cohen and S. Dubnov, "Gestalt Phenomena in Musical Texture", in "Music, Gestalt and Computing", Marc Leman (ed.), series of Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer Verlag, 1997.
4. F. Pachet and S.Dubnov, "Surprising Harmonies", International Journal of Computing Anticipatory Systems, Volume 4, 1998.
5. S. Dubnov and N. Tishby, "Gaussianite Non-Linearite des Signaux: Application aux Sons Musicaux", in "Recherches et Applications en Informatique Musicale", Vol. 1, M.Chemillier, F.Pachet ed., Editions HERMES, 1998.
6. S. Dubnov, "Stylistic Randomness: about composing Ntrope Suite", Journal of Organized Sound, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2000.
7. S. Dubnov, R. El-Yaniv, Y. Gdalyahu, E. Schneidman and N. Tishby, "A New Nonparametric Pairwise Clustering Algorithm", Machine Learning Journal, 47, pp.35-61, 2002.
8. S. Dubnov and G. Assayag, "Universal Prediction Applied to Music Generation with Style", in Mathematics and Music, Springer-Verlag, 2002
9. S.Dubnov, Z. Bar-Joseph, R. El-Yaniv, D.Lischinski and M. Werman , "Synthesizing Sound Textures through Wavelet Tree Learning", IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 22 (4), pp. 38-48, August 2002
10. S. Dubnov and X. Rodet, "Investigation of Phase Coupling Phenomena in Sustained Portion of Musical Instruments Sound", Journal of Acoustic Society of America, 112 (6), December 2002
11. P. Herrera-Boyer, G. Peeters, S.Dubnov, "Automatic Classification of Musical Instrument Sounds", Journal of New Music Research 2003, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 3–21
12. S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, O. Lartillot, G. Bejerano, "Using Machine-Learning Methods for Musical Style Modeling", IEEE Computers, 36 (10), pp. 73-80, Oct. 2003.
13. J. Tabrikian, S. Dubnov, Y.Dikalov, “Maximum a-posteriori probability pitch tracking in noisy environments using harmonic model”, IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing, 12 (1), pp. 76-87, Jan. 2004
14. S. Dubnov, "Generalization of Spectral Flatness Measure for Non-Gaussian Processes", IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 11 (8), pp. 698 - 701, Aug. 2004
15. G. Assayag, S.Dubnov, “Using Factor Oracles for Machine Improvisation”, Soft Computing 8, pp. 1432-7643, September 2004
16. S. Dubnov, S.McAdams, R.Reynolds, “Structural and Affective Aspects of Music from Statistical Audio Signal Analysis”, in Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Special Issue on Style, Volume 57, Issue 11 ,pp. 1526-1536, September 2006
17. J.Tabrikian, S.Dubnov. E.Fisher, "Generalized Likelihood Ratio Test for Voiced-Unvoiced Decision in Noisy Speech Using the Harmonic Model", IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Volume 14, Issue 2, March 2006, Page(s):502 - 510
18. S. Dubnov, “Spectral Anticipations”, Computer Music Journal, Volume 30, Number 2, Summer 2006
19. S.Dubnov, J.Tabrikian, M.Arnon-Targan, " Speech Source Separation in Convolutive Environments Using Space-Time-Frequency Analysis", EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 38412
20. S.Dubnov, “Information Dynamics and Aspects of Music Perception”, in “The Structure of Style: Algorithmic Approaches to Understanding Manner and Meaning”, S. Argamon, K. Burns, S. Dubnov, (Eds.), Springer, 2010
21. Cont, S. Dubnov, and G.Assayag, “Anticipatory Model of Musical Style Imitation Using Collaborative and Competitive Reinforcement Learning”, Anticipatory Behavior in Adaptive Learning Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science / Artificial Intelligence (LNAI) series of Springer Verlag, M.V. Butz et al. (Eds.): ABiALS 2006, LNAI 4520, pp. 285–306, 2007.
22. S. Dubnov and G. Assayag, “Memex and Composer Duets: computer-aided composition using style mixing”, Open Music Composers Book 2, Collection Musique/Science, Editions DELATOUR France, 2008
23. S. Dubnov, “Unified View of Prediction and Repetition Structure in Audio Signals with Application to Interest Point Detection”, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 327-337, February 2008.
24. G. Assayag, G.Bloch, A.Cont and S.Dubnov, “Interaction with Style”, in “The Structure of Style: Algorithmic Approaches to Understanding Manner and Meaning”, S. Argamon, K. Burns, S. Dubnov, (Eds.), Springer, 2010
25. S.Dubnov, M,J.Hinich, “Analyzing several musical instrument tones using the randomly modulated periodicity model”, Signal Processing, Volume 89 , Issue 1, pp 24-30, January 2009
26. S. Dubnov, Y. Kiyoki, “Opera of Meaning: film and music performance with semantic associative search”, Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, Information Modelling and Knowledge Bases XX, Volume 190, pp. 384 – 391, 2009.
27. S. Dubnov, “Musical Information Dynamics as Models of Auditory Anticipation”, in Machine Audition: Principles, Algorithms and Systems, Ed. W. Weng, IGI Global publication, 2010
28. V. Holtzman and S. Dubnov, “Understanding the Collaboration Enigma”, International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, Volume 10, Issue 7, pp.69-82., 2010
29. A. Cont, S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, “On the Information Geometry of Audio Streams with Applications to Similarity Computing”, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, 19(4), pp. 837 - 846, 2011.
30. S. Dubnov, “The IEEE 1599 Music Encoding Standard”, The Grove Dictionary of American Music, second edition, pp. 141-142, 2011
31. S. Dubnov and G. Surges, “Delegating Creativity: Use of Musical Algorithms in Machine Listening and Composition, "Digital da Vinci", pp. 127-157, Springer, 2013
32. S. Dubnov, “Characterizing Time Series Variability and Predictability from Information Geometry Dynamic”, volume 8085 of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science series, pp. 658-668, Springer, 2013
33. C. Wang, S Dubnov, "The Variable Markov Oracle: Algorithms for Human Gesture Applications", MultiMedia Journal, IEEE 22 (4), 52-67, 2015
In Conference Proceedings
1. S. Dubnov, N. Tishby and D. Cohen, Bispectrum of Musical Sounds: an Auditory Perspective, Proceedings of the X Colloquium on Musical Informatics, Milano, 1993.
2. S. Dubnov, N. Tishby, “Acoustic Spectral Estimation using Higher Order Statistics”, Proceedings of the 12-th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Jerusalem, 1994.
3. S. Dubnov, D. Cohen and N. Wagner, “Uncertainty in Distinguishing between Structure and Ornamentation in Music”, Proceedings of the International Fuzzy Systems Association Conference, Brazil, 1995.
4. S. Dubnov, N. Tishby, “Clustering of Musical Sounds using Polyspectral Distance Measures”, Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, Banff, 1995.
5. S. Dubnov, N. Tishby, “Testing For Gaussianity and Non Linearity In The Sustained Portion Of Musical Sounds”,.Proceedings of the Journees Informatique Musicale, May 1996
6. S. Dubnov, N. Tishby and D. Cohen, “Influence Of Frequency Modulating Jitter On Higher Order Moments Of Sound Residual With Applications To Synthesis and Classification”, Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Hong-Kong, 1996.
7. S. Dubnov, "Emotion - Is it measurable? ", KANSEI - The Technology of Emotion, AIMI International Workshop, Genova 1997
8. J. B. Rovan, Marcelo M. Wanderley, S. Dubnov and P. Depalle, "Instrumental Gestural Mapping Strategies as Expressivity Determinants in Computer Music Performance", KANSEI - The Technology of Emotion, AIMI International Workshop, Genova, 1997.
9. S. Dubnov and X. Rodet, "Statistical Modeling of Sound Aperiodicities", Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Tessaloniki, 1997
10. S. Dubnov and N. Tishby, "Analysis of Sound Textures in Musical and Machine Sounds by means of Higher Order Statistical Features", Proceedings of the International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, Munich, 1997.
11. D. Cohen, S. Dubnov, "Order/Disorder as a Determinant of Musical Style",.Proceedings of International Symmetry Conference, Haifa, 1998.
12. S. Dubnov, R. El-Yaniv and G. Assayag, "Universal Classification applied to Musical Sequences", Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Michigan, 1998
13. S. Dubnov and X. Rodet, "Timbre Recognition with Combined Stationary and Temporal Features", Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Michigan, 1998
14. S. Dubnov and X. Rodet, "Study of Spectro-Temporal Parameters in Musical Performance for Expressive Sound Synthesis", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, California, 1998
15. Z. Bar-Joseph, D. Lischinski, M. Werman , R. El-Yaniv, S. Dubnov , "Granular Synthesis of Sound Textures using Statistical Learning", Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Beijing, 1999.
16. G. Assayag, S. Dubnov, O. Delerue, "Guessing the Composer's Mind : Applying Universal Prediction to Musical Style", Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, Beijing, 1999.
17. S. Dubnov, "Higher Order Statistical Estimation of Sinusoidality with Applications for Quality Coding of Musical Instruments", Proceedings of the 17th AES International Convention, Florence 1999.
18. S. Dubnov, "HOS Method for Phase Characterization in Sinusoidal Models", Proceedings of IEEE Signal Processing Workshop on Higher Order Statistics, Caesarea 1999.
19. S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, G. Bejerano, O. Lartillot "Automatic modeling of musical style", Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, ICMC 2001, Havana, Cuba.
20. J.Tabrikian, S.Dubnov and Y.Dickalov, "Speech Enhancement by Harmonic Modeling via MAP Pitch Tracking", Proceedings of International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, 2002
21. S.Shalev, S.Dubnov, Y.Singer, N.Friedman, "Robust Temporal and Spectral Modeling for Query by Melody", Proceedings of SIGIR, 2002.
22. S.Dubnov, "Improved Harmonic+Noise Model for Vocal and Musical Instrument Sounds", Proceedings of 22nd International Conference of Audio Engineering Society, 2002
23. S.Dubnov, "Extracting Sound Objects by Independent Subspace Analysis", Proceedings of 22nd International Conference of Audio Engineering Society, 2002.
24. A. Ben-Shalom, S.Dubnov, M.Werman, "Improved Low Bitrate Audio Compression Using ICA without Psychoacoustic Modeling", Proceedings of ICASSP 2003.
25. E. Fisher, J. Tabrikian, and S. Dubnov, " Generalized likelihood ratio test for voiced/unvoiced decision using the harmonic plus noise model," (ICASSP '03). 2003 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Volume 1, 6-10 April 2003 Page(s):I-440 - I-443 vol.1
26. A. Ben-Shalom, S.Dubnov, M.Werman, "Study of Mutual Information in Psychoacoustic Compression with Application for Improved Low Bit-Rate Audio Coding", Proceedings of ICA 2003
27. S. Dubnov, "Non-Gaussian Source-Filter and Independent Components Generalizations of Spectral Flatness Measure", Proceedings of ICA 2003.
28. S.Dubnov, A. Ben-Shalom, "Review of ICA and HOS Methods for Query by Similarity of Natural Sounds and Sound Effects", invited paper for ICA 2003.
29. S. Dubnov, A. Ben-Shalom, “Information Redundancy as a Measure of Mood in Film Music”, IJCAI 2003 Workshop DOING IT WITH STYLE: Computational Approaches to Style Analysis and Synthesis, 2003, Acapulco, Mexico
30. S. Dubnov, J.Tabrikian, M.Arnon-Targan, “A Method for Directionally-Disjoint Source Separation in Convolutive Environment”, Proceedings of International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 5, pp. 489 – 492, May 2004, Montreal, Canada
31. S. Dubnov, S. McAdams, R.Reynolds, “Predicting Human Reactions to Music on the Basis of Similarity Structure and Information Theoretic Measures of the Sound Signal”, AAAI Fall Series Symposium on Style and Meaning in Language, Art, Music and Design, 2004, Washington, D.C
32. A. Ben-Shalom, S. Dubnov, “Optimal Filtering of an Instrument Sound in a Mixed Using Harmonic Model and Score Alignment”, Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, November 2004, Miami.
33. S. Dubnov, T. Apel “Audio Segmentation by Singular Value Clustering”, Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, November 2004, Miami.
34. S. Dubnov, “Spectral Anticipations”, Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference, November 2004, Miami.
35. P.Xiang, S.Dubnov, "Kaaraoke System with Spatial Acoustics Estimation for Vocal or Instrumental Removal", Procedings of International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), Barcelona, 2005.
36. S. Dubnov, G.Assayag, "Improvisation Planning and Jam Session Design using concepts of Sequence Variation and Flow Experience", in Proceeding of Sound and Music Computing (SMC'05), Salerno, 2005.
37. Deutsch, D., Dooley, K., Dubnov, S., Henthorn, T. and Wurden, A. Pitch circularity produced by varying the amplitudes of odd and even harmonics. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 2005, 118, p.1949
38. Shlomo Argamon, Shlomo Dubnov: Reports on the 2004 AAAI Fall Symposia. AI Magazine 26(1): 98-102 (2005)
39. S. Dubnov, “YASAS – Yet another sound analysis-synthesis method”, in Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), New Orleans, 2006
40. S. Dubnov, “Analysis of musical structure in audio and MIDI using information rate”, in Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), New Orleans, 2006
41. C. Rueda, G. Assayag, S. Dubnov, “A Concurrent Constraints Factor Oracle Model for Music Improvisation, in CLEI Conference, 2006
42. K. Burns, S. Dubnov, “Memex Music and Gambling Games: EVE’s Take on Lucky Number 13”, in AAAI Workshop on Computational Aesthetics, 2006
43. G. Assayag, G. Bloch, M. Chemillier, A. Cont, S. Dubnov, “OMax Brothers : a Dynamic Topology of Agents for Improvization Learning”, in ACM Multimedia Workshop On Audio and Music Computing, 2006
44. A. Cont, S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, “A Framework for Anticipatory Machine Improvisation and Style Imitation”, in ABiALS Workshop, SAB 2006
45. S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, A. Cont, “Audio Oracle: A New Algorithm for Fast Learning of Audio Structures”, in Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), 2007
46. A. Cont, S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, “Guidage: A Fast Audio Query Guided Assemblage”, in Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), 2007
47. A. Cont, S. Dubnov, D. Wessel, “Real-time Multiple pitch and multiple instrument recognition for musical signals using sparse non-negative constraints”, in Proc. of the 10th Int. Conference on Digital Audio Effects (DAFx-07), Bordeaux, France, September 10-15, 2007
48. S. Dubnov, “Opera of Meaning”, presentation at 18th European-Japanese Conference on Knowledge Modeling and Knowledge Bases, Tsukuba, Japan, May 2008
49. G. Assayag, G. Bloch and S. Dubnov, “G. Bloch, S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, “Introducing Video Features and Spectral Descriptors into the Omax Improvisation System”, Demo, International Computer Music Conference, Belfast, August 2008
50. S. Dubnov, “Computational Temporal Aesthetics”, Tutorial given at Ninth International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, ISMIR, Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA, September 14-18, 2008.
51. J. I. López Ramírez-Gastón, C. Moran, C. Head, S. Dubnov, “The Kamza and Bar Kamza Project: Participatory Digital Storytelling by Networked Data Sharing”, demonstration in The Future of Interactive Media: Workshop on Media Arts, Sciences, and Technology (MAST), Santa Barbara, January 29-30, 2009.
52. S. Kurabayashi, S. Dubnov, Y. Kiyoki, “JoinSee: A Real-Time and Collaborative Hyper-Media System for Participatory Performances in the Opera of Meaning”, 19th European-Japanese Conference on Knowledge Modeling and Knowledge Bases, Maribor, Slovenia, June 1-5, 2009.
53. S. Dubnov, “Opera of Meaning: linking Space, Audience and Performance”, "Complexity in the Arts and Sciences" Colloquium, IRCAM, Centre Pompidou, France, June 10 – 12, 2009
54. V. Holzmann, S. Dubnov, “"Understanding the Collaboration Enigma", 10th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organizations, Montreal, Canada, July 2010.
55. S. Dubnov and P. Codognet, “Opening the Can: public interaction with canned contents”, Entertainment Computing Symposium ECS2010 at IFIP World Computer Congress, Brisbane, Australia, Sep. 2010
56. S. Dubnov, G. Assayag and A. Cont, Audio Oracle analysis of Musical Information Rate, Proceedings of IEEE Semantic Computing Conference, ICSC2011, Stanford, September 2011.
57. S. Dubnov, "Provoke: Fostering user involvement in social media", Mobility Shifts Conference, New York, October 2011
58. S. Dubnov, B.S.Thompson, E. Belzberg, E. Eliram, "Expressions: Inter-Professional Culture via Coactive Digital Humanities Platform", Culture and Computing, Kyoto, October 2011
59. S. Dubnov, "Changes in musical culture and practices as a result of new multimedia technologies", Keynote challenge talk, IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, Dan Point, December 2011.
60. S. Dubnov, G. Assayag, "Music Design with Audio Oracle using Information Rate”, Meta Creation Workshop, AAAI International Conference, Stanford, October 2012.
61. G. Surges and S. Dubnov, “Feature Selection and Live Query for Audio oracle based Machine Improvisation”, accepted for publication, Conference of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR), Brazil 2013, http://www.ppgia.pucpr.br/ismir2013/accepted-papers/
62. D. Shapira and S. Dubnov, “DistributeDJ: A mobile group music making toolkit”, IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing, pp. 334-338, Irvine, 2013
63. G. Surges, S. Dubnov, "Feature Selection and Composition using PyOracle", workshop on Musical Metacreation, Ninth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment (AIIDE-13), AAAI Technical Report WS-13-22, 2013, available online at http://www.aaai.org/ocs/index.php/AIIDE/AIIDE13/paper/view/7452
64. T. Dubnov, Z. Seldess, S. Dubnov, “Interactive projection for aerial dance using depth sensing camera”, Proc. SPIE 9012, The Engineering Reality of Virtual Reality 2014, 901202 (February 28, 2014); doi:10.1117/12.2041905; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2041905 http://proceedings.spiedigitallibrary.org/proceeding.aspx?articleid=1839979
65. C. Wang and S. Dubnov. “Guided Music Synthesis with Variable Markov Oracle”, MUME Workshop, AIIDE 2014.
66. M. Rabinovich, I. Trisan and S. Dubnov, “Nonlinear dynamics of human creativity”, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2014
67. C. Wang and S. Dubnov, “Variable Markov Oracle: A Novel Sequential Data Points Clustering Algorithm with Application to 3D Gesture Query-Matching”, IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM2014)
68. C. Wang and S. Dubnov, “Pattern Discovery from Audio Recordings by Variable Markov Oracle: A Music Information Dynamics Approach”, Proceedings of 40th IEEE Internatinoal Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Brisbane, 2015